Sunday 9 March 2014

About this blog

This is not my first blog. Or my second, third, and so on and so on. I always had several different blogs for several different matters, from the completely public and funny blog to the more private, secret and one-specific-girl-oriented blog. This blog was created to fill a gap in my blogging cravings, to write my personal, random thoughts on life, without getting too personal. I actually already had a blog for that, but that blog had a couple of constraints which I now find a bit annoying and, most important than that, it was in Portuguese, so it didn't reach my non-Portuguese-speaking friends (if you want to adventure yourselves in Portuguese, go ahead, the blog is called Meia Hora de Escrita).

Like my previous Portuguese blog, this blog is what I call semi-public (or semi-private if you will). It is publicly available, but it won't be advertised anywhere: it's a blog that has to be found. I might give a clue here and there but I won't call too much attention to it. If you find it, and you like it, you're welcome to stay.

Now, finally, about the name. I'm starting this blog as I begin to settle in a new city, Cambridge. So I began thinking about the name and I thought of a perfect name for it: Thoughts and the City. It would be like Sex and the City, but without the sex :P Seriously now, the perfectness of it lied in the blog's intention which was not only to register my thoughts but also to comtemplate the city where they are based. Unfortunately, the blog's address was already taken. Brain to Let is a strong runner-up. The words "To Let" are the first words I remember from my first day in Cambridge, and are actually a big part of my first day experience. You see, the first day I set foot on Cambridge it was for a job interview. I had the interview in the morning, it was finished in about a hour and then I had the rest of the day to see the city. The city center was an hour walk from there, and I said "great!" I like to walk, and nowadays long walks don't frighten me at all. But when I left the company, I realized that I had forgotten one important rule of long walks: always visit the toilet before a long walk. After walking for half an hour I started seeing the first "TO LET" signs and I was already so desperate to find a toilet that I was seeing the missing "i" between the two letters in the signs, like a mirage. A mirage that, obviously, would vanish as soon as I got closer to the sign. It was also the first time I realized that the British use the verb "to let" to mean "to put a house to rent", something I never became aware of before. The blog's description is a memory of how hard was to find a house in Cambridge, especially one that accepts pets. Brain to Let, the blog, lets you access some of my thoughts, impressions and feelings, which are in a way a bit of furniture of my own brain. Rent is cheap, only a few minutes of your time. Feel free to stay and make yourself comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment